Thursday, August 09, 2007

Ugh (this is top-posted for now, with new content below)

[Problem identified: see top post. Thank you for all your help!]

Well, I have an interesting problem now. When I open up Microsoft Outlook, it immediately tells me it's encountered an error and needs to close.


I rebooted, but no change. Tried opening it in safe mode, no dice. Brutal. It's difficult to troubleshoot a program that won't even open.

I created a Hotmail address here: [address killed because I've identified the problem--see top post]. If you have any ideas, please send them along. I have a .pst file backup that's probably only about a week old, but I'm not even sure that's the problem, so any help troubleshooting is appreciated.

Here's what I've tried so far, and thanks to you who have e-mailed.
1. Tried starting Outlook in safe mode.
1. System restore (a longshot, and didn't change anything)
2. I used the PST Scan Utility, which fixed a few errors, but Outlook still won't start.
3. I used the "Detect and Repair" option from Microsoft Word (which is supposed to search all Office applications and repair them). No change.

Other notes:
--I'm using Bit Defender, so I do have virus and spyware protection.
--my .pst file is 1.1 GB, so it shouldn't have bumped up against the 2GB limit yet.

I'll be able to start working on this again in about three hours. Thank you for all the suggestions.

I'm trying to think of anything that might help troubleshooting, and I remember two more things:
--for the last few days, it seems like it's been taking longer to send e-mail from my Outbox. It had slowed down enough that I noticed it.
--when I try to start Outlook, it will actually come up to the point where I see my Inbox and mail folders. It looks entirely normal until the "Outlook encountered a problem and needs to close" box pops up.

Here's one more (from the Event Viewer in Administrative Tools):
Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.6353.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000114b6.

Before that, I get this:
Detection of product '{0DC74D2C-A68D-48F7-A6A5-5256172F4170}', feature 'Default_Feature', component '{98F30EE7-5ED2-490E-9214-DE3E79F4642E}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cloudmark\SpamNet\Properties\InstallerLocale' does not exist.

SpamNet is my mail filter, although I wouldn't expect it not loading to make Outlook puke.

Site Meter