Thursday, September 23, 2004

Ants (but not in my pants, much to your relief)

Eli 3.1 is fine now. Thanks very much for your kind e-mails.

If either Gloria or myself are going to get strep, we'll most likely be feeling symptoms by the end of the day. I'm feeling a little dicey, so of course I do the only sensible thing: I go work out.
That doesn't make sense if you don't work out regularly. If you do, though, it's totally logical. You might have to take a few days off from working out because of illness, so you try to get in one more decent workout before then.

So I'm swimming, which is going pretty well, since I'm up to a mile per workout now. I've gone about five hundred meters and I feel this, well, thing in my right armpit. It's not quite a cramp, not quite a strain, and not quite a nerve. It's just some sort of pain. I keep swimming, and I keep feeling it--not constantly, but every couple of seconds. I swim for a little while longer, and since it's still there, I decide to stop for the day. I don't want to get hurt, because I heal only slightly faster than a corpse.

I'm toweling off, and as I raise my right arm, I see him. An ant. A big ant, and he's somehow found purchase in the hair of my underarm, where he's been stinging me every two seconds for about the last THREE MINUTES. That felt good.

I never thought about ants swimming for fitness, but even so, what were the chances that I'd wind up in his lane?

By the way, his fitness program has been terminated.

Site Meter