Friday, August 26, 2005

More Space Rangers 2

Here's an additional detail and a story about Space Rangers 2.

I forgot to mention in the original column that the main part of the game doesn't support resolutions higher than 1024x768. Normally, that's a borderline dealbreaker for me. Once I played for about fifteen minutes, though, I forgot all about it, which is why I didn't mention it--I didn't remember. You can set your resolution for the RTS segment separately, and that can go up to 1280x1024. My LCD has a native resolution of 1600x1200 and the game looks terrific, even with the LCD scaling to the lower resolutions.

Here's the story: last night I was flying around in a planetary system and saw several ships flying across my path. I identified one of them as a battleship, which made me curious, so I started to follow them. They kept flying until they reached another group of battleships that had apparently been waiting for them.

I sit there in amazement, because I think I know what they're doing.

I talk to the commander of the lead battleship, and he says they're headed to a neighboring star system to liberate it from the Dominators.

Wow.

This isn't part of some heavily scripted sequence that happens once, mind you. It's just a logical consequence of what's happening in the universe, and I happened to be there to see it. Systems are invaded by the Dominators, and if they're conquered, attempts will be made to liberate them--you can see it happening all over the universe at the map level, even if you're not there to see it in person.

Again--wow.

The commander says if I'd like to join them, then just get in the formation at the back. Which I do. We warp to the neighboring system and it's total chaos in seconds.

The details of which I'll leave for you to discover for yourself.

Site Meter