Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Future is No Longer the Future

Part One (written on Wednesday):
You've seen all the crazy USB devices by now: toothbrushers, air purifiers, cup warmers, fans, heated gloves, pencil sharpeners, LED lights, shavers, lava lamps, humidifiers...

At which point I finally add "etc."

Here's my complaint: where's the USB EZ-Bake oven? I'd like to be able to bake cookies in my USB powered oven, or toast Pop-Tarts. That way, and this is important for the king of lazy, I could make a snack without ever leaving my computer.

I look forward to that day.

Part Two (today):
The idea for a USB EZ-Bake oven came out of an e-mail discussion I was having with Daniel Quock. A few hours later, he sent me this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/ezbake.shtml.

Here's an excerpt:
Now the computer savvy among us can relive the fun of having your very own personal mini-oven with the PC Ez-Bake oven! It fits in a 5 1/4" drive bay and plugs right into your power supply with the included Molex connector. Also included is "PC Ez-Cook", the open-source oven controller software with hundreds of easy and creative recipes for your PC Ez-Bake oven, and even a fuzzy-logic cooking control system to precisely measure the doneness of your cake, cookie, or cheese souffle. The PC Ez-Bake oven can even be used to cook your Pop Tarts, Bagel Bites, or any tiny or flat food.

That's how crazy our world has gotten. I try to imagine the future and find out it's already the present.

Site Meter