Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Rest of the Christmas Story

So here's what happened after I posted the machinations I'd gone through to try to find an Xbox 360 for my friend before Christmas. And this is a story about how unbelievably generous you guys are.

Within the hour, I had multiple people e-mailing me about WebMon and other tracking programs. I installed the program and just barely missed (by two minutes, in one case) several times that day ordering a system.

On Thursday morning, I had people e-mailing me with confidential information about trucks headed to certain retailers in the Austin area--in addition to which stores were getting units, how many they were getting, and an estimate of when the trucks would arrive. And that information helped two of my friends locally get 360's for Christmas.

I also had several people e-mail to tell me that they were able to order online that morning, were getting overnight delivery, and would turn the system around and ship it to my friend overnight. They were willing to ship a $400+ system before I could even send them a check.

As it turns out, that's what I did. And my friend's wife called me on Friday with the most exuberant phone call in recorded history.

Damn it, I was in a horrible mood all December and you bastards got me in the Christmas spirit anyway.

Now for those of you who still haven't gotten a 360 and want one, another little bird e-mailed me yesterday to say that Wal-Mart has been stockpiling systems. They're under lock and key until January 1, when a new circular gets dropped. So look in the paper on Sunday morning to verify that the ad is being used in your area, and you might be able to start off the New Year with a new console.

An Xbox 360 in every pot. Or something.

Site Meter