Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A Letter

Dear Cowboys From Hell,
It's back on, bitches.

Yours sincerely,
Axel Steel

That's right. I'd given up on finishing Guitar Hero for several weeks because of Cowboys From Hell. My single complaint about this game (after an obscene number of hours playing) is that CFH on Expert has an opening riff that is totally dissimilar to the Hard version. With the other songs, riffs build in complexity as you advance in difficulty, but with CFH, the opening riff is brand new and absolutely, insanely hard. It's fifteen notes long, and it's possible to hammer -on/pull-off the entire sequence after the opening note.

I'm lousy at HO's and PO's, and I've gotten by without them up to now, but it's impossible for me to strum that sequence, and it's used ten times or more in the song. In other words, you fail (and fast) if you can't play it. So I figured I'd wait for GH2 and hopefully be able to improve my technique enough to go back and finish the song.

Then I started spending some time with the Guitar Hero Trainer (VGSPlayer). I'd posted about it before, but since it didn't accept controller input from the guitar, I was thinking it would be hard to use.

Well, it's not. And it has two features that are incredibly helpful. The first is that you can play the song back at any speed, so you can actually slow down songs until you can play the sequences, then speed up the playback as you get faster. It also gives you suggestions for where and how you should be playing hammer-ons and pull-offs. So you see the notes unrolling in front of you, just like in the game, but below that, you see the controller buttons and see which ones are getting pressed and when.

It's a very powerful tool in terms of helping you improve your technique, and I'm steadily getting better on that opening riff. I have no idea why I want to actually be able to finish this game, but I really do.

Here's the link for the program if you're interested.

Site Meter