Thursday, November 02, 2006

More GH II Notes

I was so tired when I wrote up the post last night that I missed two things I wanted to mention.

End-of-song stats are really, really satisfying this time. You get a percentage of correct notes for each section of the song, and there are usually ten or more sections per song. That sounds like a small change, but like I said, it's incredibly satisfying to see that much detail on how you played.

The tremendous attention to detail that was in the first game is also here. In tutorial mode, there's a plastic crate with albums in the room, and you can immediately recognize the iconic cover of "Let it Bleed" on the album in front. And there are two large Rolling Stones posters on the wall.

It wasn't an accident that when I wrote "Legend: A True Story" (still available from the link in the right panel, by the way) as a Guitar Hero satire that I referenced the Rolling Stones and their music several times. They perfectly represent both the essence of rock music as well as its excess. So they are an ideal choice as "rockmosphere" in this game.

One last thing: the rhythm guitar in cooperative mode is just unbelievably fun, at least for me. I enjoy playing chords and fast chord changes, and that's where I'm strongest. On long runs and long series of individual notes, I suck. So the rhythm guitar role is perfectly suited to what I like to play, and probably for some of you, too.

I have to go to work (damn!) and then swim (damn again!), but I'll be playing as soon as I can and I'll have much more information for you later. Much, much more.

Site Meter