Monday, January 15, 2007

Martin Luther King Day

Today is a national holiday in the United States to celebrate the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. It's easy to forget the kind of hatred and stupidity that King was fighting against, but a good place to start is with the history of the Jim Crow laws in the United States. The Wikipedia entry for Jim Crow laws also has detailed information. And the Wikipedia entry for King is here.

Eli 5.5 asked me about Martin Luther King last year. Last weekend, he started talking about King again. "Dad, where did Martin Luther King live?" he asked.

"He was born in Atlanta," I said. "He lived in Alabama and Georgia as a grown-up."

"No he didn't," Eli said quickly.

"He didn't?" I said.

"I'm pretty sure he lived in Costa Rica," Eli said.

"I'm pretty sure he didn't," I said.

Site Meter