Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Gaming Notes

If you ever wanted to know why Dwarf Fortress is such a completely wonderful game, here's your chance to find out. The Something Awful forums played a succession game (each player playing for one year), they wrote up their individual exploits, and it was all packaged into a single archive. You can read it here (thanks Sebastian).

I know the interface is clunky, but Dwarf Fortress has more imagination in its making than any game I've ever played. If you want to see the game's website after reading the story of the succession game, then go here.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention this, but Circuit City is selling used video games on their website. Take a look: used games section. They'd mentioned doing something like this a while back, but then it had dropped off the radar. This has the potential to be very disruptive to Gamestop/EB, not to mention that the gaming industry can't be pleased.

Jason Price of Talk Strategy sent me the press release of what looks like a very interesting DS game. It's by Atlus, and it's called Draglade. It's a rhythm fighting game--the weapons themselves (via a typically convoluted back story) emit sounds.

This would sound insane, and I guess it is, but it's by Atlus, which means it should be extremely deep. The press release is here.

There's an article in the Seattle Weekly about testing video games. It's messy, but there are interesting sections, and you can read it here.

DQ Fitness Consultant Doug Walsh is into driving games like I'm into team sports games, and he's written about DIRT and its problems here. I've played DIRT, and enjoyed it, but driving games for me are a diversion--I'm not a driving grognard. Doug is, and his analysis of the issues for high-level players is interesting.

I mentioned during the Microsoft E3 post that they were introducing a four-button controller that I referred to as "My First Imitation Wii Controller"--but without motion sensing. I thought a four-button controller could be introduced to non-gamers as an easier way to play (take a look at a picture here), but Leo Tan e-mailed and correctly noted that the controller is only being packed with "Scene It?", so it may just be a novelty item.

I'll be picking up All-Pro Football 2K8 shortly, and should have impressions up tonight or tomorrow. Look for NCAA impressions later today.

Site Meter