Monday, July 21, 2008

Magic Camp

Eli 6.11 was in magic camp for the last two weeks.

MAGIC camp? Is that even possible?

Well, it wasn't possible when I was a boy (back in the late 1800s), but it's entirely possible now, and Eli had two of his best weeks ever. He went to the Kent Cummins Magic Camp, and he learned more magic in two weeks than I ever thought possible. Every day, he brought home a new magic item in a little cardboard box that he decorated and used as a “Magic briefcase.” As it turns out, he's uncommonly good at sleight-of-hand, and it's totally fun to watch him perform tricks and listen to his patter.

This camp is famous for the number of people who return each year, and all the counselors are former campers. I picked Eli up a few days, and I understand why. Other camps have lots of rules about how you need to behave, but the kids were so absorbed learning magic that very few rules seem to be needed. Basic card tricks, sleight-of-hand, juggling, even riding a unicycle--it was all part of the coursework.

Plus, the counselors are just great. Think "Band Nerd x 100" and you'll know what they were like, and I mean that in the best possible way. There was no vanilla in them at all, and they were smart and funy and very personable.

The best part, for me, was how incredibly enthusiastic Eli 6.11 was every single day of the camp. He always wanted to go in the morning, and he never wanted to leave when camp was over for the day. He'd show us the new tricks he’d learned, and they were so much better than what I expected to see. He's already talking about going back next year.

The only camp I can think of that could possibly be cooler than magic camp would be astronaut camp, and somehow I bet one of those exists in Austin, too.

Site Meter