Thursday, October 02, 2008

Hugo Cabret: The Game

Eli 7.2 digs "the opera voice."

I can't remember exactly how he discovered the opera voice (safe bet: blame me), but he uses it now for dramatic emphasis in entirely inappropriate (yet hilarious) situations. Yesterday, he was sitting in the cafeteria, counting off for lunch, and when it was his turn to say his number, he got on his knees instead and sang "The food is very good here, but not for meeee."

Try that in an opera voice. Go ahead--no one's listening.

What he doesn't know that I immediately added +3 to his Goofball Genius stat.

Eli threw up on Tuesday night, so he stayed home from school yesterday. I posted a while back that I'd read The Invention of Hugo Cabret to him (it's an awesome, awesome book). It's huge--about four inches thick--and when he announced two weeks ago that he was ready to read it himself, I really thought he was going to be disappointed.

He finished it in a week.

So yesterday, I went to work knowing that he was staying home sick. When I came back home, I asked him what he had been doing, and he said "Designing a board game."

Um, okay.

Knowing Eli 7.2, though, I believed him. Which was a good thing--take a look below.


You can click on the picture to see the details, but in the upper left corner, you can see this:
Hugo Cabret
The Game

If you've read the book and look at the details on the board, you'll see that he did a terrific job of incorporating plot elements: the station inspector, the automaton, the mechanical toys, the clocks. There's even an excellent bit of trickery: that big dark square at the top means you've been caught by the station inspector, and you have to roll again to see how many spaces you have to go back. So right when you've almost won--wham.

Gloria wrote in a few spaces to help him, and she drew the pictures (except for the clock), but Eli designed it all, and he did most of the work himself.

We went to see Igor after school on Tuesday (before he got sick), and during the previews, they started playing the "I Like To Move It" song for Madagascar 2. We both immediately started dancing in our seats, then started laughing, and I remember thinking as I looked at him that it must be a wonderful feeling to always be who you really are.

Site Meter