Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Eli 7.4

By the way, we're currently playing Eli 7.4's Game of the Year, and I'll write about it next week.

Last week, Gloria wore a crop top that left about two inches of her stomach revealed, and as they were walking upstairs for Eli's bath, Eli (very diplomatically) said "Mom, I think you may be too tall for that shirt. How old were you when you bought it?"

Eli is incredibly ticklish, and he will often claim that he doesn't want to be tickled, even though he'll make sure to leave plenty of room after he's told you to stop. Last Saturday, he said "Do NOT tickle me!" Then, a few seconds later, he took his arms off his stomach and said "I KNOW you'll be tempted."

Last weekend, Eli saw a football player get hit in the crotch (with accompanying agony) and said "Protect your grunch." Later, he said "Protect your coconuts, Dad--seriously."

On Thanksgiving, my Mom was coming over to eat dinner with us. Eli loves his granny, and he was all fired up about her coming over. About fifteen minutes before she was going to be here, I said "Are you ready for Granny?"

He jumped up and shouted "Ready FOR Granny? I'm ready TO Granny!"

Eli drew a series of pictures last week, and he said he was going to put them together into a book. "I"m going to call it The Downfall of Abstract Art #1," he said.

We were sitting around on Sunday, and Eli asked Gloria where syrup came from. "Well, it comes from trees," she said. "They put a tap in the tree at the right time of year, and it drains the syrup."

"Oh, come on!" I said. "And you say I'M the one that makes up ridiculous stories?"

"Don't listen to him," Gloria said. She didn't say "ever," but it was implied.

"Seriously," I said. "You're saying that waffle SYRUP comes from a TREE? That's ridiculous."

"Mom, that does sound kind of crazy," Eli said.

"Syrup is just like oil," I said. "They do geological surveys, and when they find a reserve, they drill for it. They put big pumpjacks over the well to pump out the syrup. There are wells all over New England, and--" I started laughing.

"Ah HA!" Eli said.

Site Meter