Monday, April 06, 2009

Cake

Gloria and I went out for dinner on Friday night, and for desert, we went to a trailer.

When it comes to food, trailers are all the rage in Austin. They're springing up all over the place. I think there may even be a restaurant on South 1st where the hook is that you actually eat in the trailer.

What I wanted to try, specifically, was the cake ball trailer.

What is a cake ball? Well, it's just what it sounds like: it's a ball of cake. It's also coated with chocolate, and it comes on a stick. Food on a stick is one of mankind's greatest inventions, so the idea of putting cake on a sick is downright dizzying.

Here's an excerpt from the article I originally saw:
Run by Ellen Kinsey and John Spillyards, the bright Holy Cacao trailer is tucked perpendicular to John Galindo’s big blue Izzoz Tacos trailer on South First Street. Other delights on the menu include the $2.50 “S’Mores on a Stick,” a handmade marshmallow dipped in chocolate and rolled in graham-cracker crumbs.

See? Next to the taco trailer (and those are very high-end tacos, if that's not an oxymoron). I told you trailers were everywhere.

The only disappointment is that I was deceived by the picture in the article, which makes the cake balls look baseball-sized (if you, um, ignore the size of the hand holding them). They're actually about golf-ball sized, or slightly smaller, and I ate mine in three bites.

Fortunately, planning ahead, I bought three.

Site Meter