Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rock Band 3

From Kotaku (via the Rock Band Facebook page):
Harmonix is developing Rock Band 3 for worldwide release this holiday season! The game, which will be published by MTV Games and distributed by Electronic Arts, will innovate and revolutionize the music genre once again, just as Harmonix did with the original Rock Band, Rock Band 2 and The Beatles: Rock Band. Stay tuned for more details!

As someone who thinks Harmonix is largely made up of geniuses and near-geniuses, and someone who's played some version of Rock Band almost every day from the first release, I want to get excited about this announcement. Given that there are absolutely zero details, though, it doesn't mean much yet.

I'm still hoping for note charts identifying cymbal hits. Please. And it would be excellent if the guitar controller required more "guitar-like" skills than currently. Beyond that, though, I'm hard-pressed to think of any new features I'd care about.

I will say, though, that Harmonix always knows what they're doing (and is often directly wired to the pleasure center of my brain), so I'm hoping they surprise me.

One more note: EA will distribute the game. Since their agreement with Viacom expires at the end of March, it means that either the agreement was extended (there has been no announcement yet) or that (like the Green Day game) RB3 was considered part of the original agreement, no matter the date.

Site Meter