Tuesday, January 25, 2011

2010 Favorite Games Of Year Ranking Revision!

After finishing the "true" ending of 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, I need to revise my rankings for my favorite games of 2010. Even though Just Cause was wonderful, exuberant fun, there's something about 999 that is just more rewarding, and I'm retroactively awarding it #1.

Wait--I think I know how to explain it, at least to a degree. Even though the translation can be a little clunky at times, and there are awkward moments that make you scratch your head, there are also a ton of moments that feel tremendously consequential. The game world is vivid, I cared about the characters, and I was both profoundly moved and deeply shocked, depending on the moment.

It's a tremendously ambitious game, but it holds together remarkably well, and I have deeply grooved memories, not unlike how I felt after playing Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterly (Director's Cut). 999 isn't as elegant as that game, but it is a tremendous, inspired piece of work.

Site Meter