Thursday, January 09, 2014

Eli 12.5 And The No-Sleep Zone

Eli 12.5s rib hurts him enough that he's sleeping poorly at night. Even a gentle assist from Benadryl isn't helping. He's very, very tired.

Gloria took him to his pediatrician today, just to explain and get something mild to help him sleep.

I had a different approach.

"So I spent several hours doing some research when you were at school today," I said when he came home. "There are some advanced meditation and focusing techniques that can really, really improve your sleep. There's one we can do together, and I think it would really help you. Do you want to try it?"

"Sure," he said.

"Okay," I said. "Let's go upstairs and you can lie down." We walked upstairs and he settled into bed.

"Let me create the proper environment," I said, closing the blinds to his room and turning off all the lights. It was still light, but less so.

"Okay," I said, "what I want you to do is close your eyes and empty your mind," I said. He closed his eyes and I waited for about five seconds. "Now what I'm going to do is say a trigger phrase to you, and this phrase will help you go to sleep." I paused, then summoned up my best German/Freudian psychiatrist impersonation. "YOU WILL NOW SLEEP WELL!" I shouted.

Site Meter