Monday, October 27, 2014

The New Generation

I could have sworn I wrote about this, but I can't find it in the archives.

Eli 13.2 came up to me a few months ago and said, "Dad, can I play Grand Theft Auto?"

"No," I said.

"But my friends are playing it," he said.

"No," I said.

"But--"

"No."

"Why not?" he asked.

"Well, here's the short list," I said. "It's misogynistic, homophobic, and racist."

"Oh," he said. He takes all three of those things seriously, as he should.

"Plus," I said, "in many ways, they're not even good games. There's a huge amount of content, but lots of it is just filler. I don't even mind you playing shooting games at your age, but I don't want you playing crappy shooting games."

"Well, is there an open-world game that I could play?"

I thought for few seconds and said, "Yes. I can think of a game that's a little older, but it's open world and it's incredibly fun."

"What is it?" he asked.

"It's a game called 'Crackdown'," I said.

This is how Eli 13.2 learned about Crackdown, and he began playing the next day.

Today, after about a two-month interruption for school, he finished the game. The ending--with the deflating twist--blew his mind.

He did have to call in the old professional to finish off Zuang Lun Wang, but other than that, he did it on his own. With some consultation.

Now, if Crackdown 3 is good, we'll have to buy an Xbox One. Maybe they'll include a co-op mode.

Site Meter