Thursday, June 27, 2019

I paid $16 for a milkshake that was worth $5

A new shop opened up at the Domain in Austin last week. "The Yard Milkshake Bar," it's called.

Well, that sounded great. Milkshakes!

I was staying across the street from the Domain, so I walked over, all the while looking forward to a delicious milkshake.

I walked into the store and picked up a menu. Holy crap, all kinds of stuff on there. Brownies and breakfast cereal on milkshakes. Here, have a look.

There was one odd thing, though: no prices. No prices anywhere in the store. Kind of strange. Still, milkshakes!

I made my order and went to the counter. I still didn't know what it would cost, but it's a milkshake, right? So $10 for a large and $5 for a small, and I ordered the small. "$16.24," the cashier said.

"Really?" I asked.

She grimaced. "Yeah," she said.

At that point, I'm under lots of retail pressure--people in line, cashier staring at me, etc. So I say okay and pay. That's incredibly deceptive, though, and clearly unethical.

Fifteen minutes later, I get my milkshake. It takes several minutes to excavate through the breakfast cereal and the brownie, but finally, I hit milkshake.

And it was--okay. Certainly nothing exceptional. The brownie was good, though.

The milkshake came in a Mason jar, and when I was done, I asked an employee what I should do with it. "It's yours," he said. "It's a souvenir."

Yes, that's exactly what I want: a souvenir of the time I was stupid enough to spend SIXTEEN DOLLARS ON A MILKSHAKE.

Well, unless the Mason Jar says "BE ASHAMED" across the front. That would be a useful reminder.

If you want, I'll write "My friend paid $16 for a milkshake and all I got was this lousy Mason Jar" and send it to you. Just let me know.

Site Meter