Thursday, March 11, 2021

This Certainly Came Out of Nowhere

Well. 

One of the things that's happened after being in therapy and realizing I'm writing a book about myself, not a character I created, is that my emotions are opening up. 

As an introvert, this is a difficult thing. 

Being Eli's father started all this. I felt things I'd never felt for another person before, emotions that weren't filtered. That was a wonderful experience, and I still feel all those things when we talk, even though he's almost a man now. 

I'd never been able to have those kinds of genuine feelings outside of being a father. 

That doesn't mean that I didn't feel love for other people. I have felt much love, particularly for Gloria. But without realizing it, my introversion was a filter that made it hard for me to know what genuine really meant. There was always the slightest distance between me and what I felt, even in the best times.

If you're an introvert, you might understand what I mean. 

Now that filter seems to have lifted, in a way I can't explain. And I have feelings that aren't distanced. They're not selfish or frightened or limited. 

That was my stock in trade, and now it's gone. 

I want to say I like it, but it's scary. I don't want to go back, though. 



Site Meter