Tuesday, August 03, 2021

A Film Project

I'm getting to do something deeply fun. It's the kind of thing you get to do when you're older, if you're lucky, and life slows down a little. 

I asked DQ Film Advisor And Nicest Guy In The World Ben Ormand where I should start if I wanted to gain a deeper appreciation of film. He suggested the British Film Institute 100 Greatest Films of All Time, and I've been trying to watch one a day (not always, but that's the general idea). 

I've seen seven films so far (starting from the bottom), and here's where they come from, along with the year:
Imitation of Life (U.S., 1959)
Madame de... (France/Italy, 1953)
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (UK, 1953)
Fear Eats The Soul (Germany, 1974)
Touki Bouki (Senegal, 1973)
A One And A Two (Taiwan, 1999)
The Seventh Seal (Sweden, 1957)

It's an amazing range of cultures as well as styles (Toukie Bouki uses French New Wave techniques, which is fantastic, although there are two scenes with animals being killed that are both meaningful and terrifying). 

Tonight is Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog). Then 92 more to go.




Site Meter