Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Only Scale

Several of you emailed me and expressed your disappointment over Bobby Kotick making an additional bajillion dollars because of the merger with Microsoft. 

I'm right there with you. 

I'm disappointed in my country for many reasons--most of them already documented here at some point--but one that I find particularly difficult to accept is that we have an economic system where morality is never, ever a factor. 

Morality is never rewarded in this country, only scale. 

Just think about that for a moment. Is doing the right thing ever even discussed? Not really. How often do you see a CEO get rewarded for taking a moral stance on anything?  Scale is rewarded, though, and massively. Just grow so big that you can crush everyone else, no matter how you do it, and you'll get paid.

Discouraging.

And if you want to ask "Why should morality have anything do with being a CEO?", I'd just ask you "Why not?"

Site Meter