Tuesday, July 12, 2022

A Letter

I think I mentioned last week that the sentencing hearing for the woman who struck Gloria is tomorrow.

Last Thursday, I received a letter forwarded by Gift Of Life from the woman who received one of Gloria's kidneys. It saved her life.

I'm going to include a few excerpts below, just as a reminder that organ donation is very, very important, and doesn't get nearly the attention it should. Sometimes the loss of one life saves others. 

I have waited 5 1/2 years for my transplant. The wait was very hard and long for me and my family. I was doing peritoneal dialysis for 8 hours a night...every night...lots of medications, sleepless nights, and not being able to spend much time with my family because of dialysis. 

Thanks to the transplant, I can enjoy life. I am grateful to be healthy and to be able to spend time with my family for many more years...I am sorry for your loss, but very thankful for this kidney, as it gave me another opportunity to life.

I am looking forward to many things, most of which I was unable to do before, such as traveling, swimming, staying up past 5 pm. Watch my kids and grandkids grow. I expect to work again in May. My family and I are forever grateful. 

Finding meaning in tragedy is always incredibly difficult, but organ donation is incredibly special.

Site Meter