Monday, October 17, 2022

Min-Max

I was watching college football on Saturday, as one does. 

I don't watch baseball anymore. Even though football is itself overstuffed with commercials and delays, baseball makes it look lightning-fast in comparison. 

Then I saw a blurb saying the Astros-Mariners game was scoreless in the 16th inning. I was sure that had never remotely happened in the playoffs (it turned out it was only the 4th time of all games in MLB history, which stretches back to the Old Testament). 

At the next commercial break, I flipped over to a baseball game for the first time all year. It was now in the top of the 18th inning. Astros batting, no outs, and the count was 3-2.

At that point, as best I can tell from the box score, approximately 465 pitches had been thrown.

This is the television call of the first pitch I saw:
3-2 pitch. [crack of bat] In the air, deep left-center field, hit well, Rodriguez on the run, and IT IS GONE!

I went back to the football game. The baseball game finished 1-0. Talk about optimization.

Site Meter