Wednesday, July 12, 2023

A Funny Game

We went to our local public golf course and played nine holes on Monday. 

I hit fifteen balls on Sunday for the first time since last September. Eli hit a few more but hadn't played since August.

It was going to be ugly, obviously, but it's much more fun to play than practice, and it was a nice day, so off we went. 

Three holes later, when Eli was even and I was +4, everything was going about as I expected. 

Then, something quite strange happened. I started hitting every ball flush, and every delicate shot with the right amount of force. I made putts. I went -2 for the next five holes, which I've never done on that course, or any course, for that matter. 

Even with a three putt bogey on the last hole, I was -1 for the last six holes, and generally hit the ball better than I've ever hit it in my life. 

Eli wasn't quite as good late as he was early, but our best ball was still -2. 

It's a very odd feeling to have your best round of the summer be the first. Golf is the strangest game. 

Site Meter