Thursday, August 31, 2023

Concerns

One of my concerns about going to Japan (even though I'm looking forward to it, too) is related to how I orient myself to the world.

I orient myself in the world through routine, particularly in the morning. I get up at the same time. I have a glass of tea. I write. I have the same breakfast.

This might sound deeply boring, and it might well be, but it gives me a familiar foundation for the day, which I find deeply comforting. 

If I travel in the U.S., I can establish that routine no matter where I am, which makes travel much less stressful for me. 

In Japan, though, it's going to be different.

There are no analogues to some of the things I eat here, particularly when it comes to breakfast. And I might well be having a different breakfast every day, depending on where we are. As I type that, I know how ridiculous it sounds, to say it's disorienting. For someone who finds comfort in routine, though, it's difficult. 

That repetition has also helped my stomach greatly, and I have far fewer problems with it than I used to. This will be an interesting two weeks from that standpoint as well.

It's not like we're going for a month. I'll adjust. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Knowing that makes the uncertainty I feel much more tolerable.

Site Meter