Thursday, September 23, 2004

Rome: TW, Kohan II, Warhammer 40000, Full Spectrum Warrior, and a little more Tiger Woods

Open the floodgates. They're all on my desk right now, waiting to be installed. I'm definitely looking at Rome: Total War today, and I'll try to have impressions for you no later than tomorrow. Everything else is just going to have to get in line.

By the way, I think I've confirmed that you can't use custom courses in Tiger Woods Season mode. You also can't use stock courses, because custom seasons no longer exist. That's a remarkably stupid design decision. The code was already there and had worked fine for the last three years.

EA Sports desperately needs a new slogan, because "If it's in the game, it's in the game" just doesn't capture the inconsistent quality and bizarre design decisions that are an integral part of their sports franchises. Brilliant sometimes, yes, but usually infuriating, as key elements of the sport they allegedly represent are often missing entirely (NBA Live 2004 and offensive rebounding, for example), or key features are taken out and then reinserted several years later.

So, after a period of contemplation in which I harnessed all my creative powers (a harness was technically unnecessary--a very thin leash would be more than adequate), I believe I've come up with a new EA Sports slogan that is far more evocative of EA's attitude toward their customers.

"EA Sports: Just Buy It, Bitch!"

Site Meter