Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Clarification

I'm already getting some interesting e-mail about the ESRB posts. Thanks for taking the time.

Allow me to clarify something. I wasn't trying to imply that the ESRB or the video game industry should be legally responsible for ensuring that underage consumers don't buy "M" rated games. What I'm saying is that in the current political environment, they are wasting a terrific opportunity to manage that environment by being proactive and collecting the data. The amount of time it would take is minimal compared to the benefit they would receive, both from a public relations and informational standpoint.

Politicians are creating a map of the world out of whole cloth. They're basically just making it up as they go along. It's nothing more than borderline hysteria.

This is what stops hysteria: accurate data. Nothing else does.

I'm not a statistician, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I believe cluster sampling would be an appropriate survey technique.

And if you're wondering what the hell I'm talking about in terms of collecting data, go take a look here:
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2005/07/dear-doug.html.

Wow--I'm linking to myself. I need to start practicing a pretentious walk.

Site Meter