Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Fuel Tankers

I've gotten a couple of e-mails today that asked me "Is what Nvidia was doing really that big of a deal?"

Clearly, the answer to that is no*.

But the asterik is important. It's not what Nvidia was doing that's a big deal, it's the way that Nvidia has tried to explain what they were doing that's a big deal, at least to me. Don't treat me like an idiot, even if I am one. I despise dissembling.

Although I am, apparently, a fan of alliteration.

The marketing technique of "seeding" forums was just a little fire. All it needed was a little water--we did it, we're sorry, we'll make sure people properly identify themselves in the future.

Story over.

Instead, Derek Perez twists himself into knots trying to blow sunshine up our ass. Hey, my ass has a sunshine detector, and phrases like "But we give everyone boards" makes it go off. Trying to dismiss the issue with that kind of explanation can only mean one thing: he thinks we're idiots.

And we're not.

So Mr. Perez sees a little fire and drives up a fuel tanker to put it out. Like I said, it's never what you're trying to cover up that gets you. It's the cover-up itself.

Site Meter