Friday, June 02, 2006

Now Not Appearing on This Set

Here's a funny story if it didn't happen to you.

I taped game seven of the Eastern Conference finals between Buffalo and Carolina in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Eli 4.10 went up to take his bath around 8:00, and the game had already been on for an hour and a half, so I was set to watch with no commercials and no pauses between periods.

In other words, a perfect night.

I've watched about half of the first period when the phone rings. Normally, I'd never pick up the phone while I'm watching a game that I taped, but none of my friends (that I talk to on the phone, anyway) watch hockey. No risk. So I answer the phone and it's a friend I went to high school with, a really funny, intelligent guy who I haven't talked to in over ten years.

I'm not a phone talker. Ten minutes is a long call for me. But like I said, I haven't talked to this guy in over a decade, and I just pause the game. I mean, he grew up in South Texas like I did--there's basically zero chance that he's a hockey fan.

So we talk for over an hour, which is unprecedented for me. No problem, because I can just unpause the game when we're done.

That's when, in the background, I hear a little kid yell "DADDY! CAROLINA scored--AND THEY WON THE GAME!"

Guess where his wife is from?

That's right. Buffalo. Huge hockey fan. As is his son (who's two weeks older than Eli).

Oh well. I've still got the Finals.

Site Meter