Monday, August 28, 2006

360 Backward Compatibility Update

Thanks to DQ reader Magnus for the heads-up that the backward compatibility list for the 360 has been updated. Lots of garbage, as usual, but one absolutely huge addition:
Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterly (Director's Cut)

That is a great, great game. Here's what I wrote in January 2005:
I will say this straight out: Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly (Director's Cut) is one of the best games I've ever played. It is deeply terrifying and deeply personal, and the deft balance of fear and intimacy is just one of many reasons that it is a masterpiece. This is not terror of the monster closet, Doom 3 variety--it is a deep, grinding kind of dread. Mixed with that persistent dread are moments that are so singularly brilliant, so stunning and shocking in their presentation, that I was overwhelmed to the point of being numb. I did not think that was possible in a game, and I was wrong.

If you've never played it, the experience is unforgettable. My memories of Fatal Frame II are still razor sharp and I think they always will be. That's the depth of the impression it made on me.

Site Meter