Thursday, November 02, 2006

Amazing

An absolutely amazing note from Daniel Willhite about Dwarf Fortress:
Regarding the story from Jim Riegel....

It's not a bug. I had a Sheriff that liked to inflict beatings and got happy thoughts from them. He was responsible for killing three dwarves through punishment. He was brutal. My current Sheriff (now Captain of the Guard) rarely inflicts beatings and doesn't get happy thoughts when he does. I had jails available for both, with plenty of restraints assigned to "justice" so it wasn't the lack of jail space....

Regarding Dwarf Fortress....

I like to give each dwarf his own bedroom and I generally give couples two rooms, mostly because I'm lazy and don't bother keeping track of whether or not I've handed a room out to a spouse. In my current fortress, I had a craftsdwarf in a strange mood go insane because I couldn't find some mineral or gem. Eventually she died of thirst in her bedroom, leaving behind a pile of her clothes. The dwarves interred her in the "tomb room" and life in the fortress went on. Then I started seeing items of clothing (shoes, gloves, etc.) appearing in one of the other bedrooms. It was the bedroom of the craftsdwarf's spouse. He'd been going to her bedroom, collecting her belongings, and putting them in his bedroom.


I've written about Dwarf Fortress at length, but it really is both stunning and strangely beautiful when you see something like this happen in the game.

Site Meter