Monday, April 16, 2007

More Tall Tales

"Mom, on the way home from school today we saw a new restaurant," Eli 5.8 said casually. We were in the living room watching Planet Earth.

"You did? What was it?"

"It was called Eat Your Own Squid," Eli said.

Gloria started laughing. "What?"

"Eat Your Own Squid," he said. "It sounded so funny we went inside and looked around. They have this giant tank full of water and they have lobster, crab, shrimp, squid, and something else--I can't quite remember--oh, it was octopus! You pick what you want to eat and they cook it for you."

"Are you serious?" Gloria asked. "Octopus?"

"And squid!" Eli said.

Gloria turned and looked at me. "Is this for real?"

"I don't think he could make up a name like 'Eat Your Own Squid'," I said. Which is exactly the moment when Eli burst out laughing.

It was his idea this time, not mine. He made the whole story up himself.

That's my boy.

On Easter Sunday, we were at my sister's house and Eli was playing with a paddleball, the children's toy that consists of a paddle, a little rubber ball, and a flexible cord connecting the two. We were all trying it, and badly.

"Weightlifters use these," I said.

"They do?" Gloria asked.

"Sure," I said. "Only the rubber ball is five pounds and the wooden paddle is much thicker. It really gives you a workout."

"I didn't know that," she said, and then I cracked up. "Arrghh!" she said.

I was trying to tell a tall tale to Eli, not her. Sometimes, though, if you're lucky, you pull in a bonus.

Site Meter