Tuesday, July 03, 2007

They Say It's Your Birthday

They say it's your birthday
It's my birthday too, yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you

Gloria's birthday was on Saturday.

Allegedly, Eli 5.11 and I did a dance routine to The Beatles' "Birthday."

At dawn.

My awkward dancing style could best be described as Angry Bear Attacking Campers. So performing a dance routine was out of my comfort zone by say, one million miles.

Fortunately, no video of this performance exists.

By ten in the morning, we'd had birthday cake and done all birthday-related singing. Birthday parties happen early with a five-year old.

Gloria is convinced, again, that she has head lice, which coincides nicely with a birthday and other celebration activities. At one point, I was looking at her scalp under a light.

"Many things can cause an itchy scalp," I said as I shone a powerful flashlight into the maw of her scalp. "Why do you always zero in on our friend the louse as the most likely cause?"

"Do you see anything that looks like a little brown sesame seed?" she asked.

"No," I said. "But I do see something."

"What?" she asked, alarmed.

"Sea monkeys," I said.

Eli started laughing. "Sea monkeys, mom!" he said.

"It appears to be a zoning issue," I said, moving my fingers slowly over her scalp. "It looks like the area over your left ear has been zoned commercial, and they're all waiting for the mall."

Happy BIRTHDAY to YOU
Happy BIRTHDAY to YOU
Happy BIRTHDAY
Happy BIRTHDAY
Happy BIRTHDAY to YOU

Those were the lyrics of the singing balloon that we purchased for Gloria's birthday. It was the angry jazz singer version of "Happy Birthday", and Eli took great pleasure in playing the song.

Many times.

So many times, actually, that every time it started Gloria would groan, then start laughing.

On Sunday morning, there was this:




That's right--after several very enjoyable dry hauls, Eli 5.11 caught his first fish on Sunday. On the first cast of the day.

Seriously, that sunfish was freaking huge--for a sunfish. It's a misleading camera angle.

Site Meter