Monday, March 10, 2008

Ouch

Okay, I've written my share of stupid things in six and a half years, and I have, on occasion, gotten something backwards.

This time, though, has to be a record.

I was going on the currency spiel about how the sharp decline in the value of the U.S. dollar was going to hurt Microsoft. That would be true--if they were a net importer. But, of course, they're not. They're a huge net exporter, which means a weak dollar helps them, not hurt them.

Thanks to Colin Symons, who cheerfully pointed this out. And no thanks to myself, who should now be forced to wear a Wrong Way Corrigan t-shirt for several weeks.

I'm tremendously embarrassed (because I understand this and STILL managed to get it backwards), but it could be worse, I guess--I could be Eliot Spitzer.

Site Meter