Monday, June 02, 2008

Intel: No To Vista

A source who wishes to remain anonymous let me know that Intel has decided not to deploy Vista internally. It's just one more dismissal, albeit a very large one, of an operating system that no one seems to want.

No matter what Microsoft says, Vista has been a disaster. By far, it's the most poorly reviewed operating system Microsoft has ever released, and the first service pack apparently only scratched the surface of what needed to be done. With the recent announcement that Windows 7 will be released in 2010, I doubt that Vista will ever be anything but a stopgap replacement for Windows XP.

I've been threatening to build a system for almost 3 years now, but Fallout 3 has finally forced my hand, so I will definitely build one before it is released this fall. There is absolutely no way I would install Vista instead of XP in the new system. It's not just Microsoft's issues--driver and application support on the third-party side are also dismal. I have no incentive to change, because programs I depend on are still not fully compatible.

All in all, it's a shocking failure for a company that has a legendary reputation for incremental improvement.

Site Meter