Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Dig

I bought "The Dig" for $4.99 via Steam today.

The LucasArts "classics" released today are priced in three tiers--$4.99, $9.99, and $19.99. The old adventure games are $4.99, which seems like a fair price. On the other hand, some programmer at LucasArts must have a multimillion dollar bonus kick in if Thrillville: Off The Rails sells more than fifty extra copies, because it's priced at $19.99.

I only went through the opening cinematics of the game, but I was really struck by the high quality of the writing and the voice acting. They were both exceptional, and I don't mean for their time--they would be exceptional in any era.

Adventure games, due to their perversely obtuse nature, have never been one of my favorite genres, but I'm still looking forward to playing the game again.

As a side note, it took me over 5 hours to be able to play the game after I purchased it. Steam is a great way to get games the day after their release (or any time after that), but since it launched, I've bought four games on day one and been unable to play three of them until at least a few hours after purchase.

Site Meter