Thursday, July 02, 2009

Tiger Woods 10 (Wii): Update

I've put in another 10+ hours into Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii, and it's wearing very, very well.

It's not perfect, but the annoyances aren't related to the gameplay, which is just absolutely fantastic using MotionPlus.

I've gone about halfway through a season in career mode (I've played about 30 rounds at this point, I think), and I can recommend settings for your golfer that will help keep the game challenging. You accumulate points as you play rounds that you can then use to increase your skills, but I've been very careful about increasing my skills slowly, because I don't want to reach a point where my golfer gets too good.

If you have the same concerns, you might try this: for every skill category but Power, Luck, and Spin, don't increase your golfer's skill past 50%. For Power, you'll probably need to go up to 80-90% to get reasonably accurate distances (and "accurate" can vary widely from golfer to golfer, really, so that's very subjective). I've kept Luck at 0%. Spin probably needs to be in the 70-80% range, but I still have a way to go to get to that point, so that's just a guess.

Right now, I've got Power at 70%, Spin at 40%, Luck at 0%, and everything else at 50%. I'm shooting anywhere from 70-78 in a normal round, depending on the course, and it's very challenging. Putting, in particular, is masterfully done, and I think I've gotten a much better sense of how individual courses are challenging than in any other golf game I've ever played. These courses play very, very differently, as they should, and it's tremendously entertaining.

Site Meter