Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mr. Mile


Eli 7.11 rode a mile on the track last week. Not in total--at once.

I told him before we started that I thought he would do it soon, and he just took off on his first ride and kept circling the track. He passed the mile mark, then did about another hundred yards before he stepped off.

I've only gone half a mile (which is a miracle in itself), and I spend twice as much time practicing as he does, so I'm getting out-talented at a ratio of 4:1, and believe me, I'm lucky it's not worse.

Eli is still skinny, but he's started developing calf muscles that are totally disproportionate to the rest of his body--his legs look like Q-tips with an edamame bean scotch-taped to the lower half of each one.

I think I'm retiring the graph, because we're both riding so far now that the measurement is relatively meaningless. I can ride "a long time," and Eli 7.11 can ride "much longer."

I'm getting Eli a trophy, because he earned it, and I wanted him to have something tangible to remind him what hard work can achieve. What I'm finding, though, is that they don't seem to exist! So he may be getting a homebrew trophy.

Site Meter