Monday, November 02, 2009

Eli 8.3

Eli's developing a sense of humor that is entirely his own.

"Eli, why didn't you eat the cheese I packed in your lunch?" Gloria asked last week. Eli is notorious for not eating much of his lunch.

"Mom, I didn't LIKE the cheese," Eli said.

"Didn't like it?" she asked. "You eat it at home every day!"

"I know," he said, "but it tastes DIFFERENT when it's been inside that small container."

"What?" she asked, laughing.

"I know!" he said. "How is that possible? What is he talking about? And why is he talking to himself?"

***
Last Thursday, we were all in Eli's room just before it was time for lights out, and Gloria noticed that it was warmer than usual. "Why is it so hot in here when it's cold outside?" she asked.

Instantly, Eli said, "It must be because I'M SMOKIN'!"

***
I was making Eli a snack.

"Hey buddy," I said, "Do you want some wolfpack cheese?"

"Wolfpack cheese?" he asked. "What's that?"

"It's where you tear the cheese from the block in chunks instead of cutting it," I said. "Just like a wolf would tear a kill with his teeth."

"Oh wow, that sounds gr--hey, wait a minute! Are you just trying to get out of having to cut the cheese?"

"No, absolutely not," I said. "Yes."

"DAD!"

Site Meter