Thursday, April 14, 2011

Breaking

Nintendo is apparently on the verge of announcing a successor to the Wii, with multiple sources reporting today that the console will be fully revealed at E3.

We can only hope. The 360 and PS3 are both long in the tooth, technologically, and the Wii is much worse than that. I've almost completely lost my enhusiasm for console gaming, at least in the short term, because everything coming out has a "5" or "7" in its title. Seriously, why the hell would anyone want to play the fifth iteration of a game in seven years--or five? Who is buying these games?

I think the last console release I purchased was Rock Band 3. Everything else, I take a look via Gamefly first, and in the last two months, I've returned at least three games unopened.

This cow's been milked.

The PC scene is a million times more interesting right now. There are more interesting small games that come out for PC in one day than on the consoles in a month--or a quarter.

I hate to say this, because I love high-end graphics, but we certainly seem to have reached the era of diminishing returns when it comes to project size. When twelve people are needed to animate a footstep (I'm joking, but you know what I mean), something essential is lost.

Chris Kohler has a very nice analysis of the Wii situation here, and in short, the release schedule blows and Nintendo needs to cut the price immediately. So if the successor to the Wii is coming, it's just in time, because it's desperately needed.

Site Meter