Monday, November 04, 2013

Gridiron Solitaire #79: What's Another Word For "Grinding"?

Oh man, this last 1% is just brutal.

I'll spare you the details of the minute things I'm changing at this point, besides mentioning that I've slightly changed the tutorial help text to be as clear as humanly possible. And still, if ten people read help for something, not all ten will get it. Still, though, I think the first thirty minutes experience has improved more than anything else in the game in the last six months.

This weekend I finished recording the gameplay videos for the Greenlight page, and I have a nice set of screenshots as well. Fredrik is adding a bit of text to the videos, and then everything I need to put up the Greenlight page will be available. So, incredibly, the Greenlight page should be live this week.Like I said, it's unlikely that the game will get approved, but it's worth taking a shot.

I've decided to make one more change, and it's something I've resisted for a long, long time. Right now, the .txt files for the different leagues are located in the main game directories. That's not the standard model anymore--the standard model is to put files like that in the Documents folder for the user--but I haven't wanted to do that because the current process works fine.

Except...the user has to click through a UAC screen every freaking time he starts the game. Ugh. That's pretty poor, really, and it will freak some people out. I need to follow standard practice.

That seems easy. Just find the Documents folder on the user's system. The problem is that XP (the problem is always XP, whether it's cut scenes or file location) handles it differently, and I'm going to have to wade into the mud to make sure it always works. That's my reluctance--if this doesn't work, it's a total gamebreaker, and right now, it works.

I have this "thing" where I'll go through a period of time where I'm less productive than I need to be, and it's invariably because I'm delaying making a change that I know has to be made. So I went through about three days where my productivity was really poor, and I realized today it was because I somehow know I need to make this change, and I'm not going to get anything else done until I get this done.

So onward, into the fog.

Site Meter