Wednesday, November 20, 2013

There Are No Words

Well, I guess there are words, or I wouldn't be able to write about this.

I never gave you impressions of the Leap Motion controller  because the reviews were generally disappointing, and as such, I never bought one. It was an incredible idea--tracking the movement of your hands and fingers in space to control apps--but it didn't appear to be fully-baked.

That's okay. I could wait.

Today, though, I saw that Leap Motion had released an app called Free Form that lets human hands sculpt digital clay. Immediately, I jumped to the conclusion: someday, people are going to sculpt virtual clay, export that virtual clay as a 3D model, then print out the sculpture using a 3D printer.

This seems so wonderfully disruptive to me that my brain cannot wrap itself entirely around the surface of the idea.

Is this the future? Turning entirely physical processes into entirely virtual processes? I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's definitely and clearly a thing.

Site Meter