Thursday, October 25, 2018

I want one of these

Kyocera releases tiny e-paper companion phone in Japan

Have a look (thanks, Engadget):



Here's the description:
It's a companion device that's supposed to be a sidekick to a beefier mobile phone. The KY-01L is really small -- not too much larger than a credit card. It's about 9 centimeters tall, 5 centimeters wide, 5 millimeters thick and weights in at a minuscule 47 grams. It has a standby time of 100 hours and a continuous talk time of 110 minutes.

The device itself can do basic phone tasks, like make calls, send messages, and has VoLTE and WiFi to browse the web, if you really want to try that on an e-paper display. 

The thing about having a beautiful, powerful phone is that it compels you to use it. So if I'm eating somewhere, it's almost impossible for me to leave it alone. There's something I want to look up every minute, it seems, and I really don't want that behavior. It's jittery.

So this little bit of phone would be perfect. Terrible web browsing, no camera, but able to call and text, and doesn't take up much space in a pocket. 

Right now, it's only being released in Japan, but I'm hopeful. 


Site Meter