Wednesday, June 12, 2019

To Mow Or Not To Mow

I mow the yard on a pass-fail basis. 

I do not receive a letter grade. I do not do extra homework to raise my grade. I only show up for class when I have to. 

This is fine, because the grass in my yard has survived for decades, and it will continue to survive, no matter how poorly I care for it. Long after I'm gone, that grass will continue to do its thing. 

My next door neighbor, though, is in Honors College. 

He's a great neighbor. Couldn't ask for a nicer guy, or a better family. Super cute kids. Just good people. 

When it comes to his yard, though, we sit in different classrooms. 

He has a leaf blower that could clear a football field. He carries around the fuel in a giant backpack. He's so dedicated to his yard that in the event of the apocalypse, he would siphon fuel from his car to be able to keep his yard spotless. 

He edges at the 1/16 inch level. It might be 1/32 inch, but I can't see to that level of detail. He edges beyond the visible spectrum. 

When he's done, his yard looks like a feature in Southern Living. It's majestic, really. It almost makes you want to take up arms against the North, because the Civil War wasn't about slavery, it was about lawn care. 

He mowed twice in four days this spring. He mows in the rain (which is a thing in this area, believe me). He mows, mows, mows.

His lawn is a masterpiece. My lawn is the inferior painting that the artist painted over because he couldn't afford a new canvas. 

Site Meter