Monday, July 01, 2019

Numbers

We were walking off the range. There's a lot of golf going on around here (Eli 17.11 shot an 81 last week).

"Why are those two woman sitting on the edge of the green?" Eli asked.

"I think they're watching that guy practicing pitches," I said. We watched him hit a shot. "That man is not good at golf," I said.

"They can't take their eyes off him," Eli said.

"This brings up an interesting question," I said. "On a purely looks basis, would you rather have two lower-rated women or a single higher-rated one?"

"Super inappropriate, but okay," Eli said. "Lots of hurdles there."

"Ignore legal and ethical issues," I said. "Purely a thought experiment."

"Well, I'd rather have a nine than two sevens," Eli said.

"Sure, but what's the threshold?" I asked. "At seven point five, it's still not quite there for me, but it's close. What about two eights?"

"I think that's the crossover," Eli said. "I think I'd take two eights."

"Agreed," I said.

On the way home, we passed a fish place with one of those towable signs.

"Four pounds of fish and twenty-two pounds of french fries for twenty-five dollars," I said.

"That's a deal," Eli said.

"Is it?" I asked. "Who eats french fries and fish in over a five-to-one ratio?"

"That's a good point," Eli said.

"Here, son, have some fish and five pounds of fries," I said.

Eli laughed. "Seems like a problem," he said.

"Unless you have someone in your family on an all-potato diet," I said. "That guy drives past and reads the sign and says 'FINALLY!'"

Site Meter