Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Too Much, Too Soon

We have a three-level corner shelf built into the shower. The soap is always on the bottom, and water sprays off anyone showering and pools on that shelf. The soap, then, is always wet and a  little slimy.

"Hey, do you mind if I move the soap to the top shelf?" I asked.

"Why?"

"It gets slimy from the shower, but the top level is above where the water sprays. The soap would be pretty dry that way."

"Okay, no problem."

A few days later, the soap had been moved down to the middle shelf.

Today, it was on the lower shelf again.

"Hey, I'm really sorry about that soap," I said.

"Why?" she asked.

"Reckless decisions like that just can't happen," I said. "I should have commissioned a feasibility study." She laughed. "We're lucky that decision didn't plunge us into a recession. It was just too much change at once. Somebody could have gotten hurt."

She was still laughing.

"Clearly, what I should have done was build an intermediate shelf between the first and second shelf that could have been used for iterative testing."

Site Meter