Thursday, August 27, 2020

Well, This is Ironic

I woke up this morning at 3:47 a.m.

I don't normally do that. Ever. But COVID and Category 4 hurricanes and NBA players on strike and the rotting corpse of the Republican party and WTF2020 woke me up. 

Incredibly, though, I also had an inspiration. What are the odds? 

The first two chapters of the book are, by far, the weakest. Many of the other chapters have been rewritten several times and edited another ten or fifteen times. 

The first two chapters haven't had that kind of work applied to them yet. 

My editor said that I should wait to rewrite these chapters until all the others had been revised, because that's when I would know everything else that happens in the book, which would make the first two chapters easier to rewrite. 

Good advice. 

Except I woke up at 3:47 a.m. and there was one sentence in my head. 

I wrote down the sentence (I always have pen and paper by the bed) and and tried to sleep. 

Nope. Wasn't happening. 

I wound up packing it in at 4:30, had some breakfast, and started working. 

By 7:45, the first chapter was rewritten. And it works. That one sentence was the key to the entire chapter.

Then I went on a 45 minute walk. Then I had a scone. Then I went to the golf course and practiced. 

I came back and it was 10:45. 

Damn, I've got 11 hours before I can credibly go to bed.

I'm glad I don't have insomnia. Being productive 20 hours a day is not in my wheelhouse.

Site Meter