Monday, November 16, 2020

The Exception That Proves the Rule

I can't seem to quit Tiger Woods.

In recent years, the quality of an athlete's character has affected who I root for. I used to tell myself it didn't matter, but as I got older, I realized that it does, at least to me. So I try much harder to find good people who happen to be athletes and root for them. 

Then there's Tiger Woods. 

He infamously blew up his life and the lives of his family with a series of reprehensible and selfish indiscretions in 2008. He is almost completely unwilling to use his massive platform to advocate for anything or anyone. He doesn't even seem to have close friends.

It certainly seems like he's lacking in character. 

But when he takes a 10 and hits 3 balls into Rae's Creek on Sunday, then birdies 5 of the next 6 holes, I can't look away. It was the most Tiger Woods thing to do ever. 

Or chipping in an impossible shot to win the Masters. Or make a 20 foot putt on the last hole of the PGA to get into a playoff with Bob May (he won, of course). Or win the U.S. Open with a stress fracture in his leg. 

His highlight reel might be more spectacular than every other golfer combined. 

I don't think I've ever seen another athlete who has a greater ability to rise to the moment. When he was younger, it was almost inevitable. and it was electric. 

Other guys of questionable character? No thanks. Tiger? I still can't look away.


Site Meter