Wednesday, January 13, 2021

The Bad Influence

Eli 19.5, resident bad influence, persuaded me to watch the UK version of Love Island during the break. 

Incredibly, I liked it. I'm still watching it after he's gone back to Ann Arbor.

It's a reality show where everyone is put together and there are various machinations to upset everyone and it's very standard stuff, really. But there's a kind of giddy stupidity about it that becomes far more endearing with UK accents. 

In the season I'm currently watching, here are three of the contestants:
--an influencer
--a ring girl (the woman who holds up the round card at boxing matches)
--a mannequin

I have to respect that. Not the professions, but the people who found them. That's next level.

Mostly, they're more endearing than I ever expected, with profound gems like "Don't come to Love Island if you don't want to love."

I mean, that tells me everything I need to know.  

It's on Hulu in the U.S., if you want your brain to stop working for forty-five minutes at a time. Season five is a strong place to start (god help me, I know the quality of individual seasons).

Site Meter