Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Midjourney and Unexpected Consequences

I've been working with Midjourney quite a bit lately. It's pretty hypnotic, really. 

I'm learning quite a bit about artists I never heard of, because when someone includes an artist's style in a prompt, I look at the resulting image and look at some of the artist's work via Google. So it's been educational in a way I didn't expect. 

I'm also studying color theory and image composition, to better understand how to create interesting images. 

I'm noticing that Midjourney does certain things very, very well, and other features lag a bit behind. And it made me think about artists and how they might respond to image generation programs. I hadn't thought about this before, but it seems like artists might become even more creative and unique (and appreciated) by making art that computer programs can't copy. So generic, high-volume styles might be at risk via AI, but art itself should be just fine. 

Site Meter